Solved

Can I switch from dual fuel with Boost to one fuel and move the other to a Pay monthly supplier?

• 28 December 2017
  • 11 replies

**UPDATED on 25/07/2019**

I want to move my supply and possibly split gas and electricity between two different suppliers.
I know there are still two meters, but currently only one top up amount.
I am no longer happy with Boost, but like the easy ways to top up online. So am considering keeping maybe the gas on PAYG and moving the ELECTRICITY to pay monthly. Or it could be the other way around. It could also be with two totally new energy providers who can do this.
icon

Best answer by mattj3135 28 December 2017, 23:18

Hi @BuzzB thanks for posting.

Its a shame to hear you're considering leaving Boost, however we encourage everyone to make sure they are getting the best for them. Is there's anything in particular that's making you feel this way about Boost?

In relation to having your gas and electric supplied by different providers this is something you have control over. When you go to switch to another's provider they will ask whether you wish to transfer provision of one or both utilities to them. You maintain full control over who "supplies" either fuel.

One thing though: you can't have PAYG+ with just gas. If you want to top up online or via the app with Boost, you will need to keep the electricity on supply with Boost. What you could do is switch the gas to another supplier on a Pay Monthly tariff. Boost won't let you switch from PAYG to Pay monthly as the sign up process is different: https://forum.boostpower.co.uk/smart-payg-5/can-i-change-from-pay-as-you-go-payg-to-pay-monthly-paym-credit-45.

You mention when you move suppliers you are seeking a credit meter - just a word of advice some provider says may charge to upgrade from a PAYG meter so keep an eye out for any extra charges that they may apply. If you have smart meters, then it should be free to change to Pay monthly with a different supplier.

Hope this helps
View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hi @BuzzB thanks for posting.

Its a shame to hear you're considering leaving Boost, however we encourage everyone to make sure they are getting the best for them. Is there's anything in particular that's making you feel this way about Boost?

In relation to having your gas and electric supplied by different providers this is something you have control over. When you go to switch to another's provider they will ask whether you wish to transfer provision of one or both utilities to them. You maintain full control over who "supplies" either fuel.

One thing though: you can't have PAYG+ with just gas. If you want to top up online or via the app with Boost, you will need to keep the electricity on supply with Boost. What you could do is switch the gas to another supplier on a Pay Monthly tariff. Boost won't let you switch from PAYG to Pay monthly as the sign up process is different: https://forum.boostpower.co.uk/smart-payg-5/can-i-change-from-pay-as-you-go-payg-to-pay-monthly-paym-credit-45.

You mention when you move suppliers you are seeking a credit meter - just a word of advice some provider says may charge to upgrade from a PAYG meter so keep an eye out for any extra charges that they may apply. If you have smart meters, then it should be free to change to Pay monthly with a different supplier.

Hope this helps
Hi thank you for your reply. If it is a smart meter, surely it would not require changing? It is smart afterall and isn't that enough, it sends data and receives data, I don't see the requirement for changing it to be honest

I may be happy sticking with OVO / BOOST, I would just like the gas on a pay by month direct debit. I wonder if there is anyone who can assist with this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
i can not comment on the differentials of a PAYG smart meter or a pay monthly smart meter.

Regarding the question you've replied with, check out this topic for all the talk on this discussion: https://forum.boostpower.co.uk/smart-payg-5/can-i-change-from-pay-as-you-go-payg-to-pay-monthly-paym-credit-45

hope this helps
If this is the case then Smart Meters are *edited my moderator. Surely that is the point and purpose of having one, it is all online and easily manageable. I am not impressed at all.

Smart meters should be easier to change provider with, not more difficult. Also, the credit check thing? is straight out of the ark with todays technology.

What is this... 'computer says no....... ' Get a grip.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Surely that is the point and purpose of having one, it is all online and easily manageable.

Hi @BuzzB - I've edited your reply as it contained a profanity.

As you have smart meters with Boost, it's unlikely that you will need to pay for another meter exchange. Here's the two likely scenarios for switching both or one of your supplies to another supplier:

1) If the other supplier can communicate with your 'Secure' Boost smart meter, you will have a choice of a PAYG or Pay monthly tariff when you switch to them. Contact them before switching to check.

2) If the other supplier can't communicate with your 'Secure' Boost smart meter, Boost will put the meter into a non disconnecting 'credit' setting just before you switch to them. It will act like an old fashioned Pay monthly meter, so if you chose a Pay monthly tariff, that's fine. If you chose a PAYG tariff, that supplier will need to fit their own smart meter.

Great work @mattj3135 on the advice you gave - I've tweaked your 'best answer' to add a bit more detail. 👍

Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
i can only sympathise with your frustration regarding changing suppliers whilst having SMET1 meters, the whole energy industry didn't really think things through when they rolled out smart meters initially. This issue has been addressed and will Be eliminated when SMET2 meters are rolled out.

Regarding the last few points of your post, I am afraid I am unable to agree with your opinions, Boost/OVO being a new player in the field have developed the business's in accordance with customers views and a new way of doing business. It has provided myself and others great flexibility and any gripes ive had previously have always been resolved above and beyond what I expected.

If there are any particular areas you can suggested improvements to be made too, besides what you've raised thus far please comment so they can be fed back. Boost welcome constructive feedback.
i can only sympathise with your frustration regarding changing suppliers whilst having SMET1 meters, the whole energy industry didn't really think things through when they rolled out smart meters initially. This issue has been addressed and will Be eliminated when SMET2 meters are rolled out.

Regarding the last few points of your post, I am afraid I am unable to agree with your opinions, Boost/OVO being a new player in the field have developed the business's in accordance with customers views and a new way of doing business. It has provided myself and others great flexibility and any gripes ive had previously have always been resolved above and beyond what I expected.

If there are any particular areas you can suggested improvements to be made too, besides what you've raised thus far please comment so they can be fed back. Boost welcome constructive feedback.

Either you are looking for a job with Boost, or already employed by them. It is not that transparent.

Good luck for the future. However, who ever you are, I would appreciate it if you refrained from commenting on any of my posts from now on.

Surely that is the point and purpose of having one, it is all online and easily manageable.

Hi @BuzzB - I've edited your reply as it contained a profanity.

As you have smart meters with Boost, it's unlikely that you will need to pay for another meter exchange. Here's the two likely scenarios for switching both or one of your supplies to another supplier:

1) If the other supplier can communicate with your 'Secure' Boost smart meter, you will have a choice of a PAYG or Pay monthly tariff when you switch to them. Contact them before switching to check.

2) If the other supplier can't communicate with your 'Secure' Boost smart meter, Boost will put the meter into a non disconnecting 'credit' setting just before you switch to them. It will act like an old fashioned Pay monthly meter, so if you chose a Pay monthly tariff, that's fine. If you chose a PAYG tariff, that supplier will need to fit their own smart meter.

Great work @mattj3135 on the advice you gave - I've tweaked your 'best answer' to add a bit more detail. 👍

Tim

Thank you Tim. Clear no nonsense information at last.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Either you are looking for a job with Boost, or already employed by them. It is not that transparent.

Good luck for the future. However, who ever you are, I would appreciate it if you refrained from commenting on any of my posts from now on.

Surely that is the point and purpose of having one, it is all online and easily manageable.Hi @BuzzB - I've edited your reply as it contained a profanity.

Tim

Thank you Tim. Clear no nonsense information at last.

Glad you've found Tim's reply helpful, if there's anything else just ask.

have a lovely evening & all the best for 2018
Userlevel 2
So will smet2 replace my smet1 with boost energy when this rolls out or will I still have the smet1 meters
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hi @Ginger545 when the industry role out SMET2, Boost will contact customers advising of the process to get an upgraded meter. I'm sure they will let us know on here as soon as possible!