Boost's Ultimate Guide to Winter

• 28 November 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
If your energy is costing more at the moment, it’s likely because of the time of year. It’s natural to use quite a bit more energy during winter, but can make you feel like you are topping up a lot more than usual.

You’ll likely have the heating on a lot more as it gets colder which uses gas, and/or electricity depending on what type of boiler you have. Here are some other examples of when you’d use more energy:

🌛 It starts getting darker earlier in the evening, meaning everyone has their lights on longer.
❄ Lower outdoor temperatures mean water starts off at a lower temperature. This means it takes more energy (and costs more) to heat it to the desired temperature for your heating/ shower etc.
📺 Worse weather sees us all spending more time on average indoors, meaning more time with appliances on (watching TV, on the computer, playing video games, cooking more hot meals, listening to music and generally entertaining ourselves indoors).

🌡So, how can you keep your house toasty but save some pennies? @Beth_Boost answers those questions here.

🏡 Want to know how to make a saving around the rest of the house? @Lucy_Boost’s got you covered.

💳 For those of you who want to make sure your gas and electricity never go off, you can check out how to set up automatic or rolling top ups here.

📋We participate in the Warm Home Discount scheme too, so get your application in for £140 towards your energy costs this winter here.

Other places you can get support:

6 replies

is there anyway that boost can help me with my electric as I do not get paid until net week and I don't have any electric
Biggest bill I ever had in my life £190 a month for gas and electricity is that normal?
Userlevel 1
As it seems no staff here is replying, or even showing any interest at all in this forum, with over an hour to wait in queue on the phone I am taking this to Ofgem and Trading Standards.
I have also called my old supplier and will be changing back to them ASAP.

I am 62 years old, lived in this house for 9 years and BOOST is the 3rd 'we promise to supply for less.' Liar so far. I have also moved around a lot over my years, I think this is my 23rd home, so I know EXACTLY how much more BOOST is fleecing me!
So, dear BOOST... do not come back at me with 'well, this is winter and you will feed the meter more.' [edited] because you have cost me double and leaving me without enough money to pay other Bills, or even food!
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hey @Rick3124 - I've moved your post over here where you can find loads of useful info about saving on energy costs.

If you're unable to make a topup, we can lend a small amount of credit to tide you over. This is added as a debt balance to your meter/account and repaid daily. Get in touch with the team on 0330 102 7517 and we can look into this.

Cheers
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Biggest bill I ever had in my life £190 a month for gas and electricity is that normal?

Hey @Gufoto - more info on this above!
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hey @Dontlietome - I've moved your post here where you can find more information on higher winter costs and how to save.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We've been extremely busy in the last couple of weeks after inheriting Economy Energy's customers as they've ceased trading. We're working really hard to get back to everyone as soon as we can - we're sorry for any inconvenience caused.