Solved

How do I switch away from Boost?

• 2 February 2019
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1

I want to leave Boost but can’t get through to the call centre as it is nearly 4 hours long! It is so expensive, I have a smart metre and Boost have been taking £20.00 out of my account every 2/3 days. I just can’t afford it. My heating is on such a low setting, it’s barely warm. I just want to talk to someone it’s so frustrating!

icon

Best answer by Nancy_Boost 5 February 2019, 18:36

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 1
Totally agree!! Boost are a rip off. You dont need to call them to cancel just sign up with a new supplier and they will sort it out for you, im paying £180 a month with boost which is £40 a month more than with my old supplier, iv been with them for three months and iv just swapped supplier today online. Get as far away from Boost as you possibly can.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Updated on 22/09/2020

Hi @Kerry Ludlow and @Tiptopt

We've been extremely busy in the last couple of weeks after inheriting Economy Energy's customers as they've ceased trading. We're working really hard to bring the queues down and get back to everyone as soon as we can. We're sorry for any inconvenience caused by this.

If you'd like to switch away from Boost, you don't need to contact us directly. You'd just need to sign up with the supplier you'd like to move to, and they'll get in touch with us to let us know.

Thanks,
Nancy

Userlevel 1
I think boost is useless I am going back to my old supplier but got to wait 28 days then I will be back with them yippee cannot wait
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way, @Sarahjane, I've moved your post here, there may be some helpful information above, regarding your switch.
Userlevel 1

Totally agree!! Boost are a rip off. You dont need to call them to cancel just sign up with a new supplier and they will sort it out for you, im paying £180 a month with boost which is £40 a month more than with my old supplier, iv been with them for three months and iv just swapped supplier today online. Get as far away from Boost as you possibly can.

Did you have to pay a exit fee 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

There are no exit fee’s with Boost, @Tipsy68 

Thanks,

Bradley 

Updated on 22/09/2020

Hi @Kerry Ludlow and @Tiptopt

We've been extremely busy in the last couple of weeks after inheriting Economy Energy's customers as they've ceased trading. We're working really hard to bring the queues down and get back to everyone as soon as we can. We're sorry for any inconvenience caused by this.

If you'd like to switch away from Boost, you don't need to contact us directly. You'd just need to sign up with the supplier you'd like to move to, and they'll get in touch with us to let us know.

Thanks,
Nancy

Just want to check (for 2021) that I don’t need to inform Boost that I intend on switching and all I have to do is contact the new supplier, as the new supplier has said I need to notify my current supplier.

As the Boost phone lines are asking for emergency calls only and my email address is not recognised when I email customer services (I was a Economy Energy customer and have never registered an email address with Boost) I don’t know how to get answers!!!

Many thanks,

Gareth

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

That’s right, @GDA,

As a Boost customer you're free to switch at any point without any exit fees or terms. All you need to do is pick a new supplier and they'll do the rest.

:slight_smile:

So as I understand it Boost cannot move anybody onto a Pay Monthly tariff as they’re a PAYG only service, which isn’t ideal, but fine.

However, theoretically would it be possible to switch to another company that has the ability to do PAYG & Pay Monthly as a PAYG customer and ask them to then go on a Pay Monthly tariff? From my understanding it seems like a lot of messing around and you don’t get the ability to shop around for the best deal as you’re stuck on a tariff with that company when you switch in the first place. Again, not ideal.

What on earth can I do to get away from the horrendous Smart PAYG they’ve implemented? I hate relying on the IHD instead of the old app, I only had it plugged in before because *sometimes* the other person in my household liked to check the app was reliable. It’s just a wholly uncomfortable experience with the format of the new app.

I’m looking at buying an EV so have been looking at EV Tariffs also but I don’t feel I’m going to get anywhere with them because I’m stuck with Boost, and I hate it. I’m pretty sure I have a S1 meter as well so I feel stuck on all fronts.

I’d also like to ask what reason there might be for my address to be listed as a business when not a single person in this house owns or has registered a business, and there are no businesses registered to this address anywhere on the internet. Nobody else on my street has a business listed address, just me, and I’ve been with Boost since mid 2018 and nothing was brought up then so it has to be a recent change.

Edit: Posted under PAYG+ by accident. Should hopefully be in the right place now.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@dottie45 - I’ve moved your question over here, as the best answer is very relevant:

@dottie45 - I’ve moved your question over here, as the best answer is very relevant:

Yeah...no. This has barely answered my first question and bears no relevance to my second question. Why is my address registered as a business? Or what kind of reasons, barring there being an actual business registered here (as I’ve checked numerous times, and there isn’t) could this have happened? It’s only been an issue since I’ve been with Boost.

I’d also like to ask what happens if the company you want to switch to cannot offer Smart PAYG at all and requests, in order for you to switch to them, that your current supplier moves you to DD so you can switch? Are there any suppliers out there that won’t penalise me for switching, asking to be put on a credit meter, and then switching away ASAP?

The last month or so particularly, and the farce of trying to switch to a better supplier, has really made me regret switching in 2018.

EDIT to ask: Could I have my Smart meter removed by Boost? It’s been a nightmare since we had it fitted and honestly, having read about it, I can’t see any disadvantage to having it reverted back to a normal meter.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for the reply, @dottie45 - I’m hear to dive into your situation and offer you the best advice I can. 

So as I understand it Boost cannot move anybody onto a Pay Monthly tariff as they’re a PAYG only service, which isn’t ideal, but fine.

However, theoretically would it be possible to switch to another company that has the ability to do PAYG & Pay Monthly as a PAYG customer and ask them to then go on a Pay Monthly tariff? From my understanding it seems like a lot of messing around and you don’t get the ability to shop around for the best deal as you’re stuck on a tariff with that company when you switch in the first place. Again, not ideal.

This would depend on that supplier. For example, we don’t let Boost customers become OVO customers, because the sigh up process is different. Things like credit checks aren’t performed for a Boost sign up, but they are for OVO, so I’m told.

It might be the same for other suppliers, or they might be more then happy to get you on a PAYG tariff first, and then switch you over to a pay monthly tariff. You’ll need to approach them directly to check. 

From that point on, you’d be a pay monthly energy customer, and able to complete all of the specific processes involved in a switch to pay monthly OVO Energy. Hopefully I’ve explained that correctly and clearly. 

What on earth can I do to get away from the horrendous Smart PAYG they’ve implemented? I hate relying on the IHD instead of the old app, I only had it plugged in before because *sometimes* the other person in my household liked to check the app was reliable. It’s just a wholly uncomfortable experience with the format of the new app.

Are you aware you can now view the balance on the app, as a midnight snapshot? Same as the old PAYG+… more info here

I’m looking at buying an EV so have been looking at EV Tariffs also but I don’t feel I’m going to get anywhere with them because I’m stuck with Boost, and I hate it. I’m pretty sure I have a S1 meter as well so I feel stuck on all fronts.

OVO Energy’s EV Everywhere or a trial of OVO Drive are EV propositions that you might like, Dottie. As mentioned above due to the sigh up process being different, it’s not an easy journey for you sign up to this at the moment. This is a list (may not be 100% up to date) which shows the suppliers that can community with a Secure Liberty smart meter:

Utilita Energy Limited
Co-operative Energy Ltd
First Utility Ltd
Electricity Plus Supply Ltd t/a The Utility Warehouse
E (Gas & Electricity)
Spark Energy Supply Limited
Eversmart Energy Ltd
EON Energy
Robin Hood Energy Limited
Ecotricity
Bristol Energy
Our Power Energy Supply Ltd
Octopus Energy

Octopus have a good EV offering so I’m told, and remember if you’re on a Pay monthly tariff with someone else, you can proceed with the OVO Energy sign up process at any point. I understand this is far from a simple and easy journey for you as a customer. 

I’d also like to ask what reason there might be for my address to be listed as a business when not a single person in this house owns or has registered a business, and there are no businesses registered to this address anywhere on the internet. Nobody else on my street has a business listed address, just me, and I’ve been with Boost since mid 2018 and nothing was brought up then so it has to be a recent change.

It sounds like your smart meter sends readings to Boost every 30 minutes. On the national database, this is listed as a (technical jargon alert) ‘Profile class 0’. This is often seen as a business supply by a new supplier assessing the details of the supply before requesting the switch, but it’s not a business supply. If you are unable to switch away due to this, Boost can change you to a daily reading schedule. But don’t worry you won’t be charged like a business supply. Give us a call to discuss this (00330 102 7517) or request the change via email: hello@boostpower.co.uk.  

Hope this has helped, welcome your thoughts!