Solved

Boost Price Cap Increase - What do I need to know?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Updated 15/09/20  Boost prices will be changing again on 1 October 2020 in line with Ofgem’s price cap. We’ll send another update closer to the time to remind you of the new rates when they go live.

From the 8th May, we’re increasing our unit rate prices and standing charges for all Boost customers. To ensure you are fully informed, we’ve sent out an email or letter to advise of this change, to give you time to check the prices before the increase.

It’s not something we've taken lightly, it is however in response to an increase in costs of delivering electricity and gas to you. This has meant that the industry price cap has been relaxed, and across the industry, prepayment rates are increasing (it’s not just our prices).

A statement from Ofgem says: “the methodology for calculating the cap is based on wholesale costs, network costs, policy costs, operating costs and costs associated with prepayment meters. The Cap for Summer 18 has increased due to the “increases in wholesale costs and increases in the costs of complying with government policy”.

As mentioned above, prices will not change until 8th May. Your current rates will continue until then.

We give 30 days notice of any price changes.

If you have any questions, please post below and we will do our best to answer them.

icon

Best answer by Tim_Boost 18 April 2018, 12:48

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 1
This servicec is con
Userlevel 1
So there’s no such thing as a price cap because you lot always find a way round it 11 percent increase on gas thank you your joining the conning big 6
Userlevel 1
I literally switched to you 2 weeks ago after being assured by your staff on the phone there were no price hikes planned any time soon despite my leaving my old supplier due to the rises that seemed to be affecting all companies... I asked several times why you were not experiencing these same rises and was assured you just were not.... 2 weeks later I get an email informing me of your ridiculous 51% price increase!!

51% think about that for a minute.

I am absolutley appauled and already looking to switch back to my old supplier. Disgusting.
Thanks for telling us about your robin hood price increase....absolute joke of a company,time to leave!!!!
Userlevel 1
Yes i agree with u pal
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Oh Dear @newcustomerrippedoff did you get them name of the call agent you spoke to and whether they where Boost or a third party?

The fact you specifically asked and where told they hadnt plan to increase prices is concerning as it can Be construed as misleading.

Please could i ask you to reach out to boost customer care team so that they can explain themselves to you and investigate this further to stop any similar issues occuring again, as I feel further training may be required for the call agent you dealt with.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
@Mallen 10 & @ianwil52 do you know that the energy regulator, OFGEM Is responsible for the energy price cap, which Boost are simply working within the remit set by the regulator as are all energy providers.

I must admit ive had an increase as have everybody else but Boost still remain competitive to the other suppliers - my main reason for staying with Boost is quiet simple!

The customer service is second to none, I'm not saying this because I'm part of This forum or because everything has been plain sailing - because It hasn't - we have had our fair share of issues but when Boost are aware of the situation, they make sure they sort things out. I've seen numerous examples of Boost staff going the extra mile to help customers especially in difficult times. Boost are the only energy company (I've been with many providers) who actually show they care about their customers with actions - no gimmicks or glossy ads for this hidden service, just real people helping customers in need.

Of course things go wrong, even the best human isn't perfect and makes mistakes all I ask is if folks have an issue they approach Boost and give them the opportunity to discuss things and put them right.

regarding your 51% increase - this Is phenomenal @newcustomerrippedoff Please reach out to the customers care team to explain further aS per my other post.
Prior to becoming boost, ovo always showed the tariff being applied at the foot of the home page. Why has this disappeared.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Prior to becoming boost, ovo always showed the tariff being applied at the foot of the home page. Why has this disappeared.

@pwelly you can see this on the 'Account details' section of your My Boost page: https://my.boostpower.co.uk/login

Tim
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
So how will this affect you?

Existing customers:

You will get a letter or email this week, letting you know about the change to your rates.
On the 8th May - smart meter customers will see their rates change.
Standard prepayment meter customers will pick up their new rates when they top up. Gas top ups are picked up immediately (first top up) but with the electricity it can take 3-5 top ups.

New customers:

The price change will show from the 8th April, on our welcome letter, our website and any quotes you can see.
You will get the benefit of the (lower) current prices up until 8th May. After that point, your rates will be updated just like existing customers.
If you have any questions, please post below and we will do our best to answer them.
This is the first I have heard of this. I have received no communication. I came on here to look for something totally unrelated and stumbled across this post. I even went back through all my Boost emails and not received anything about this!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi @ramsay

Surprised to hear this, we emailed all of our PAYG customers to advise of this. Might be worth checking your spam/junk folder in your email to double check its not there.

If not might be worth calling the Helpline to double check your email address is correct on our files.

Darran
Hi @ramsay

Surprised to hear this, we emailed all of our PAYG customers to advise of this. Might be worth checking your spam/junk folder in your email to double check its not there.

If not might be worth calling the Helpline to double check your email address is correct on our files.

Darran

Already checked all emails
I receive numerous emails from boost absolutely fine...you know like when you want me to top up etc.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Thanks for confirming this, @ramsay

Those balance update emails are sent from your PAYG+ online account. We will send contract and tariff change emails from your Boost account, and there might be a typo in the email address registered. Can you send us a message via Facebook, Twitter or email (hello@boostpower.co.uk) so we can double check?

Tim
Switch, switch, switch! The standing charge is a rip off! 60p per day,£18 A month!! and they say this is to supplies G&E to my house maintain the meter and pay for customer service! So I'm paying you for being your customer! Would not recommend, find alternative supplier! With lower standing charge! Total joke of a company! Was also told there wouldn't be any price hikes when I joined! Also a total lie! Seriously there are far better suppliers!!!
This servicec is con
As soon as they establish when you are at home and using electric you will receive a letter telling you the tariffs are changing and guess what its when you are home. I have a tv and xbox on and one light right now and my smart meter is showing Orange telling me im using alot of electric? This Smart Meter thing is just designed to monitor you to get more money. Stay on card meters EDF will switch you back
From the 8th May, we’re increasing our unit rate prices and standing charges for all Boost customers. To ensure you are fully informed, we’ve sent out an email or letter to advise of this change, to give you time to check the prices before the increase.

It’s not something we've taken lightly, it is however in response to an increase in costs of delivering electricity and gas to you. This has meant that the industry price cap has been relaxed, and across the industry, prepayment rates are increasing (it’s not just our prices).

A statement from Ofgem says: “the methodology for calculating the cap is based on wholesale costs, network costs, policy costs, operating costs and costs associated with prepayment meters. The Cap for Summer 18 has increased due to the “increases in wholesale costs and increases in the costs of complying with government policy”.

As mentioned above, prices will not change until 8th May. Your current rates will continue until then.